Friday, September 16, 2022

Leaf Ghost #21

This is only the second leaf ghost to have a name: “Head Shot.” When I was out taking pictures of fallen leaves under the sweetgum tree in the back yard, a new volunteer fell and hit me in the back of the head. Naturally I couldn’t pass up the chance to photograph and paint it.

This is watercolor and ink on paper. The watercolor is Art Creation Yellow and the inks are Winsor & Newton Brilliant Green and Nut Brown (and Black Indian Ink for the shadow).

So what did we learn this time around?

This is the first watercolor / ink combo for which I started with the paint and then added the ink. I drew the usual grid on the paper. Then I applied Friskit masking film and drew the leaf directly onto the film. Cut it out with an Xacto and airbrushed the paint.

That made it impossible to erase the pencil from under the leaf, but it didn’t show much in the end. I also accidentally smudged the black ink with my hand.

 The green and brown color combination is nothing new, but this is the first time I’ve added yellow in an attempt to duplicate (or at least approximate) the colors from the photo of the real thing. Unfortunately, earlier today I watched a vintage ad for Chiquita on Youtube, so now I can’t decide if I think the leaf says “autumn foliage” or “over-ripe banana.”


No comments:

Post a Comment