Monday, December 22, 2014

Deadly Light - Day One

And so it begins again. I thought maybe I’d let the novel thing sit for awhile, maybe do the revisions for Deep Mist before proceeding on to another project. But the time seems right, and I’ve got this story in my head. Also, I need a project to focus on.

It’s off to a reasonably good start: 2191 words. That’s a slight cheat for three reasons: first, the opening 111 words are the quote from H.P. Lovecraft that supplies the title for the book. Second, I did type a few words over the weekend, just furtively playing around with it rather than commencing the project in earnest. And third, I’m working from a preexisting rough draft.

Frankly, it doesn’t seem to be much of an advantage. Other than the awkward conversion from first person in the draft to third person in the current work in progress, it isn’t a hindrance. But it doesn’t seem to be making the words flow faster, either. Well, once the first section of the novel is complete, I’ll be back to working without a net.

Many more thoughts on this, but they’ll save for tomorrow. For now I’m tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment