Monday, January 6, 2020

India Day One


The start of the trip was naturally enough consumed by the minutiae of air travel. Thus this won't be the most exciting of entries.

Amy dropped me off at 2. Checking in, I used my passport for the first time. Air Canada checked my bag all the way through to my final destination, so I wouldn't have to retrieve it and re-check it in Toronto.

I forgot to take my belt off before going through the metal detector and bought myself a frisking.

The flight from KC to Toronto was uneventful. It had been quite some time since I'd been on a plane, but I adjusted to it fairly well. I ended up swapping seats with half of a young couple who understandably wanted to sit together, but I ended up with an aisle seat anyway. To be honest, for a two hour flight it didn't really matter all that much where I sat.

The Toronto airport experience was varied to say the least. We had no jetway when we arrived, so I had my first experience of getting out of a plane via the fold-down stairs.

Unfortunately that also meant that we had a lengthy trudge through what appeared to be utility hallways in order to get to the main terminal area. Fortunately, the men's room I eventually found was right next to the currency exchange booth. The money swap went smoothly, leaving me with a giant pile of 500 rupee notes.

I had barely enough time to grab a burger before I had to make my flight, and once aboard I had to stow my carry-on many rows away from my seat. I fretted a little about that, as if the Beagle Boys were going to make off with my luggage when we deplaned in India (for the record, that didn't happen).

No comments:

Post a Comment