Saturday, August 13, 2022

Leaf Ghost #17

I thought I’d do something soothing for the last weekend before the start of classes. 

Gouache on paper. I used the same masking strategy that worked for #13. Overall it was an even bigger success here, because the opaque gouache went on much thinner and much easier than watercolors. The yellow was exactly what I wanted. I think I got too much water in the greens, which made them go on less evenly. Something to think about for next time.

The only rough spot was the masking tape pulling up part of the paper on one spot toward the bottom. I’m not sure what happened, because the paint under it should have been dry. I walked away from it between passes.

Fortunately I already planned to go back over everything with a fine detail brush and clean up the gaps between masks. So I fixed the rough spot while I was at it.

This is the 15th leaf ghost in the current sketchbook, which means I’m a quarter of the way through it already. It’s also the first time I’ve put a drop shadow on a painted ghost. And I think the leaf itself looks a little like a cartoon ghost with a pointy hat.



No comments:

Post a Comment