Sunday, August 21, 2022

Leaf Ghost #18

Based on the almost complete success of Leaf Ghost #15, I decided to do the same thing with one exception: rather than using a brush and a wash that smeared the ink, I painted the leaf color using an airbrush. Oh, and I reversed the colors, using Winsor & Newton Peat Brown for the background and Art Creation Yellowish Green watercolor for the leaf.

This is the first time in quite awhile – since my undergrad days – that I’ve used an airbrush for a two-dimensional piece on art board. It’s also been around that long since I used Friskit film to mask off the parts I didn’t want to paint. Back in college I developed a hesitancy about using the stuff because it wasn’t exactly cheap. Now I’m better able to afford it, but the hesitation remains. It felt good to actually put it to use.

The only hitch I encountered was a problem with the airbrush jamming, which of course had nothing directly to do with the artwork itself. I have one final experiment to try: airbrushing the color first and adding the ink afterward. Depending on how well it works, this may be the first technique I settle on for creating non-experimental final products.


No comments:

Post a Comment