Saturday, January 28, 2023

Leaf Ghost #46

The experiment this time around was to try creating the effect of Copic markers but using dip pen nibs. The Speedball C0 nib is around the same width as the Copic medium broad tip, so I was curious to see if they’d create a similar effect.

Nope. 

In fairness to the Speedball nib, I was using for a purpose other than the calligraphy strokes it was designed for. And the mix media paper I use for most of my ghosts isn’t as well suited as more absorbent paper is (as you can see from some of the test lines I drew in a different sketchbook).

That said, it proved exceptionally difficult to work with. It was less like drawing with a pen and more like trying to paint using a popsicle stick made of metal. I used the same inks as ghosts 41 and 43. Here I gave up on the C0 after I finished the background. I’ve used the narrower C2 for drop shadows many times already, so I used it to draw the red and orange parts of the foreground. Also not perfect, but better than its broader brother.

On the plus side, I’ve been doing a lot of digital work lately, taking online classes about Procreate. So the glitches here were a good opportunity for me to get back to appreciating non-digital media.


No comments:

Post a Comment