Friday, April 28, 2023

Leaf Ghost #73

The recent color combo continues, but beyond that this was an experimental piece. I’m still not used to working with acrylics, so I thought I’d get in some practice with them. I have a good range of reds and browns on hand, so I had plenty to choose from.

My original intent was to use the airbrush for this one, but once again the Badger Krome I bought awhile back proved too temperamental for the task (some kind of problem with the air flow this time). I’m going to try replacing it with an allegedly easier to work with model.

In the meantime, plain old brushes would have to do. I did the background with a watery mix of Valejo acrylics (Flat Red and Clear Orange). That produced an effect kinda like watercolors if they were opaque and dried instantly. The effect is pleasantly chaotic, looking vaguely like a fire.

The foreground is Valejo Black Red and Burnt Red, both colors intended for work on the skin tones of plastic models. I used them undiluted, producing much more solid coverage. The drop shadow is Black Red watered down.

The two dark reds are the closest I’ve ever come to using identical colors for both parts of the foreground. The result looks much more like a solid leaf, especially at first glance. The illusion of transparency is much more subtle, a trick I may try again in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment