Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Leaf Ghost #125

When I was a kid I drew with mechanical pencils almost exclusively, but I got out of the habit as an adult. Deciding to give them another try, I added some pencils and leads to the start-of-the-year art supply purchases. With some time away from work thanks to MLK Day and inclement weather closings, I figured now was a good time to take them out for a spin.

I’d never used any color other than graphite grey in a mechanical pencil before, so the red in this drawing was a new experience. I also got a set of blue leads, but they seemed super brittle when I tested them. So I’ll save those for sometime when I feel like I have a little more patience.

Nor did I have any idea how smudgy the drawing would get if I didn’t take any steps to avoid smudging it. The answer clearly is “smudgy.” As recently as last year that would have driven me crazy, but now it seems more like part of the fun of the process.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment