Saturday, March 9, 2024

Leaf Ghost #133

So lots of firsts here.

The main one is the use of text as the main graphic element. Appropriately enough, the story is Poe’s “The Masque of the Red Death.” While working, I referred to the entry in It Takes Every Word, a lit anthology (complete with writing prompts) I put together and illustrated several years ago.

I used Winsor & Newton Deep Red and Black India loaded into Rapidograph tech pens (0.35 and 0.7 mm, one for each color for a total of four pens). I’ve used line width variation before, and I also used tech pens recently. But this is my first time combining colors and widths exactly this way.

Of course with the image also being a story, the only way to do it was to go line by line, copying the text and switching pens each time the hue or brightness changed. More than once I found myself wishing I was working with something less temperamental than tech pens.

This is also my first time working with pens on illustration board. I guess I could have used a sketchbook, but somehow I sensed that I might want this one to be more of a stand-alone.

One more first: I’d never used the same pen for the art and the caption at the bottom.


No comments:

Post a Comment