Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Leaf Ghost #1

Here’s a project I’ve been meaning to do for quite some time now: leaf ghosts.

Visually they’re based on abstract doodles I used to do in the margins of my notes during college lectures.


Now I’m applying the same graphic design to outlines of leafs. If I was writing an artist’s statement about this project, I’d probably note that the idea of a leaf ghost reflects their temporary nature (as well as our own). It also makes individual leafs (I’m never doing the same one twice) the subject of an artwork, calling attention to something we see by the thousands every day and generally pay no attention to at all. But even on the center stage they’re still enmeshed with their own backgrounds, appearing as single objects only thanks to a little gestalt.

My plan is to work in a variety of media, using the project as an excuse to practice with ink, paint, pencil and whatever else sounds like fun to try. As a close look at #1 will instantly show you, it’s been quite awhile since I’ve worked with markers. I love the rough look. It’s much different from the ultra-smooth digital work I’ve been doing. But I’m hoping with practice to recall/learn how to get more even coverage with ink.

Each leaf ghost starts with a photo of a leaf. I take the picture with my phone and then trace an outline using Fresco. I apply a grid, do some coloring for reference, and then use the digital version as a model for an under-sketch on paper.


Then I add color, starting with the dark background squares ...


... then the light foreground ...


... and then the dark foreground to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment