Saturday, March 19, 2022

Leaf Ghost #4

 


With spring break winding down and leaving me desperate for a creative win, I decided another leaf ghost would do the trick nicely.

This is actually the leaf ghost I had in mind when I first started the series.


More than two years ago I bought the gouache I intended to use for my first leaf ghost painting. I did some work with gouache as an undergrad many, many years ago, but I hadn’t touched the stuff since. I remembered that it tended to produce a nice, flat, even color coverage, which is exactly what I had in mind.

It turned out that the black was the only color of the three that produced the effect I remembered. Which is okay. I’m still using this project as an excuse to experiment around with media and techniques, so this is anything but a failure.


Naturally I mixed white and the darker green to get the lighter green.

And speaking of white, this is the first time I painted the light parts of the background squares rather than letting the white paper do the work.

Oh, and this was the first time I ever got paint on this old easel I’ve had for years.


One of my friends from art school would go absolutely nuts if she saw that photo. She was super strict about making sure everything was completely spotless before beginning and after finishing any art project. I agree about the importance of cleaning pens, brushes and anything else where old media might mix in and damage a future project. But for a support like an easel, this strikes me more as a piece of its history.

Overall I was pleased with the results this time around. At some point in the future I will return to this combination, probably for a larger piece on either paper or illustration board.


No comments:

Post a Comment