Sunday, June 12, 2022

Leaf Ghost #6


Today’s leaf ghost was back to gouache again. I got a set of gouache colors from Holbein to facilitate getting more experimental with colors, having burnt sienna on hand for an upcoming leaf ghost, and maybe even branching out into some other painting projects on down the line.

This one was based on a photo of a leaf that was soaking wet on a rainy day. To capture the spirit of wetness, I decided to do my first monochromatic entry in the series.

I used titanium white and navy blue for the two extremes, with two mixtures of the colors for the mid tones. I was surprised to see that navy blue appears to have some green in it.

Everything went well until I put too much water in the pure navy for the last pass. I ended up squeezing some more undiluted paint into the tray to get the mix I was after.

I’m still not 100% comfortable with paint, but then this is only my second time in recent memory even trying to use it. So I’ll keep practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment