Saturday, October 22, 2022

Leaf Ghost #26

Earlier this week I (virtually) attended a session at Adobe MAX in which Spencer Nugent was the guest of honor. The session inspired me to re-read his book about working with markers, which in turn inspired me to give them another chance.

The last time I tried Copic markers was Leaf Ghost #5. Back then I was dissatisfied with the uneven results. But since then I’ve come to embrace the analog nature of working with physical media.

Before I started, I made a color test page with the various markers I was considering. I was fairly sure at the outset that I wanted to use E09 Burnt Sienna and YR68 Orange for the leaf, but I was less certain about the background.

As a side note, using familiar text for testing is a habit I acquired as a youthful type nerd poring through U&LC.

I ended up going with BG72 Ice Ocean and BG10 Cool Shadow. They combined nicely with the foreground colors. The shadow is E77 Maroon.

Once the pencil sketch was in place, I used a straight edge to do the outsides of the squares. Then I did the leaf edges and filled in the rest, doing everything for one color before moving on to the next.

Unlike last time, I’m pleased with the result. I was also pleased with the process. It’s nice to be able to move from color to color instantly without doing a lot of clean-up between steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment