Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Leaf Ghost #39

Before I get started on the most recent leaf ghost, I want to at least mention a quick side project I completed this morning. I don’t think it merits an entry all its own, but it deserves to be noted.

Many years ago I wanted to make my own custom picture frames. I never got any farther than cutting boards down into thin strips, which of course left me with several narrow pieces of wood. It occurred to me that they might make a good stand for my Winsor & Newton inks, a theory confirmed when they turned out to be the perfect width for the small square-bottomed bottles. So I cut them to the right length, stuck them together with wood glue, and voila!

The new arrangement arrived just in time to help provide a new home for the new W&N inks I got for Christmas. The new set included violet, blue and scarlet. Combined with the purple and black I already had, they were everything I needed for Leaf Ghost #39.

This is the first time I ever crosshatched all the squares on a leaf ghost. Here I was able to make it work because I had different colors for the background and foreground, so nothing had to be hatched, left blank or spaced farther apart.

Of course that also made it more time consuming than drawing with simpler methods. But it produced the best results I've gotten with dip pens so far. The extra effort is also pleasantly meditative.

The first pass I did was violet (the darker of the two background colors). Apparently I missed a tiny drop of water on my wrist after I cleaned the nib, because I ended up with an annoying smudge (row 4 column 4).


No comments:

Post a Comment