Saturday, January 21, 2023

Leaf Ghost #45

Leaf Ghosts aren’t supposed to have stories. Indeed, part of the whole idea is kinda anti-story. I’m not officially tracking what kinds of leafs they are, where I saw them or when I photographed them. Color selections tend to be determined by what inks and paints I haven’t tried yet rather than by any kind of connection to the original subjects.

This ghost, on the other hand, has a story.

I photographed this leaf not far from Liberty Memorial. And a few minutes later I tripped and fell down some stairs. I escaped with some minor abrasions and contusions (an overly dramatic version of scrapes and bruises), and thank heaven my camera was undamaged. 

I’ve been learning to use Procreate, so I employed some of my new skills to document the damage to my right hand. The style combines the look and feel of World War One propaganda posters (suited to the location) and coroners’ report forms (suited to my overly dramatic version of the event).

Upon further examination, I decided the leaf was shaped a little like a scar. So I chose background colors – Copic marker YR61 Yellowish Skin Pink and RV10 Pale Pink – to approximate my skin hue and foreground colors – R27 Cadmium Red and R24 Prawn – to look like a cut. N8 Netural Gray 8 for the shadow, which runs counter to the perception of a slice into the skin rather than a leaf sitting above it.

Again I noted how quickly marker ghosts go. I finished this whole thing in less time than it took to paint the reds on #44 earlier in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment