Saturday, September 14, 2024

Leaf Ghost #150

The last time I was at Scraps, I bought a bag of Speedball A-0 pen nibs. Though I really only need one, it’s nice to have backups (or spares if anyone else wants one).

This is my first time using a broad metal tip since #46. Though the C-0 didn’t work all that well, the A-0 was much better, much more like working with Copics. Winsor & Newton Ultramarine (the darker of the two blues) was a bit thick for the nib, but the Blue, Orange and Sunshine Yellow flowed smoothly. 

To be sure, mistakes were made. I got out of sync with the pattern and used the wrong ink on two of the upper left squares. Naturally I was using the darker color at the time, so I couldn’t fix it by going over it with the correct color. Also some smearing around spots where the ink puddled, which just means I need to let everything dry before moving on to the next color.

As this turned out to be an experimental piece, I decided to try a Copic C7 Cool Grey marker for the drop shadow. The combination of alcohol-based ink on water-based ink produced some odd spotting, so I probably wouldn’t try that again unless I specifically wanted the effect.

Still, it’s nice to get such vivid colors with minimal cleanup.


No comments:

Post a Comment