Saturday, March 11, 2023

Leaf Ghost #59

After doing a series of quick Copic pieces, I thought I’d get spring break underway with something more experimental.

Some firsts here:

This is my first time freehanding acrylics. I used paints designed for plastic models (Valejo Model colors), so this is the first one I’ve done using colors that are intended to simulate substances (leather in the background and metals in the foreground). I’ve never used a brush to apply metallics before. I found that it worked better than using a dip nib with metallic ink. However, I got a better effect when I let it dry and then went back over it with a second coat, the first time I’ve done that on a leaf ghost.

The gold and silver surfaces are difficult to photograph, as they look different depending on how they’re lit. This one (and the photo above) shows the painting under the light I used while I was painting it.

Whereas the “official portrait” in cloudy day light from the south window has a whole different look. And honestly none of them exactly recreate the experience of seeing it in person.


No comments:

Post a Comment