Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Metal Earth Model – Willys Overland

This one took awhile. It’s from the Premium series, promising “bigger, more details, more fun.” To which they could easily have added “more aggravation.” For the most part the extra level of detail was good, but at several points the model featured elements that bordered on design flaws.

In particular, a lot of the slots were in unnecessarily difficult spots. Some were placed on folds, which made it hard to fit the pins in. And others were placed less than a millimeter from another slot, and putting the pin in the wrong one caused no end of trouble. The entire build required hypervigilance to detail, even more so than an average Metal Earth model. I managed to catch myself before I made quite a few mistakes, and even so I messed up in three or four spots.

Definitely not one for beginners. This was #30 for me.

And it’s a continuation of my streak of building models of places where I’ve been. I admit I’ve never driven an actual Willys, but I’ve seen them in museums several times. And I used to drive a Jeep Wrangler, which is about as close as you can come without investing in a museum piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment