Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Elliptical Crown – Final stats and final thoughts

First a quick look at the stats:



Before starting this blog entry, I went back and re-read my final thoughts from last year. Given how smoothly this year went, it's kinda hard to imagine that a year ago I doubted that I'd even give it a try this time around.

It was an interesting experience to start with something that was maybe a fragment of an idea for a short story (based on a couple of paragraphs from a well-known Lovecraft tale) and see it spin out into an entire novel. The main take-aways from this time are that I can begin with something small and get it to turn into something larger. And things go a lot smoother if I use October to create a detailed outline so I'm ready to hit the ground running when NaNoWriMo starts.

On a personal note, my depression has been a lot better controlled recently. That helped keep the unproductive days seem a lot less apocalyptic.

My closing thought is that prior to publication I will most likely change the name to "The Innsmouth Crown." That should do a better job of placing it in the right spot for readers, not to mention making it sound less like a novel about the winner of a contest involving a piece of gym equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment