Sunday, October 3, 2021

Novel Rhino 2021 – The Fins


 No, I’m not actually writing a novel called “The Fins.” Instead, I’m going to cheat on the National Novel Writing Month parameters a little.

“Into the Mist” fans have probably already noted that last November I started The Legrasse Estate, but after a couple of days I quit blogging about it. I actually managed to keep writing for awhile after that, but in the end all the turmoil that followed the election killed the project. I don’t want to come across as a sensitive artist who can only work under ideal conditions, but the stress and trauma Trump caused were simply too much.

So my main focus this time around will be to finish the novel I started last year. It was around 18,000 words long when I bailed. My guess is that it will finish somewhere in the 50,000 word neighborhood, but that means I’ll only have to write 32,000 words this year to wrap it up.

To get the rest of the way to the 50k quota for the month, I’m going to finish “VIB,” one of the short stories in the Sunday Night School collection. I began this project during Camp NaNoWriMo in April 2020 but finished only one of the five stories I hope to include.

As I will be finishing two works in progress rather than starting a new novel, I’ve dubbed this project “The Fins.”

No comments:

Post a Comment