Sunday, November 20, 2022

Earworm – All alone at the ’64 World’s Fair

Continuing the tradition started with the last earworm, I’m not going to be coy about the source. This is from “Ana Ng” by They Might Be Giants. Recently I’ve been watching a lot of videos about Disney theme parks, and references to the “Small World” ride always remind me of this song.

The obvious inspiration is Mary Blair’s design work for the ride and other Disney properties. But I wanted it to look cold and commercial rather than warm and human like her watercolors.

The text proved tricky. My original plan was to use Stenciletta, which has separate faces for the left and right sides as well as the full characters. But to my chagrin, I found that the sides didn’t match up precisely.

 

So I switched to Phosphate and did the slicing and coloring manually.

I drew the doll heads myself and used Adobe’s skin tone swatches to vary their colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment