Sunday, November 19, 2017

Deadly Light – Day 19

And what is it about Sundays? The first one went well, but the last two have been whoppers. Today’s word count was the third best I’ve ever done, topped only by last Sunday and a particularly productive day in 2014.

Part of what helped me today was taking a break after I finished the first section I was working on. Walking away for awhile helped me to come back fresh later in the day and eventually make it to the end of the next couple of scenes.

Spoiler alert: plot points follow.

My first goal was to complete the conversation between Rachel, Ben and Johanssen. It took a turn or two that I wasn’t expecting. My original outline had a teeny bit more exposition here. But then I figured some of it could wait until after Rachel finds the missing notebook. It would make more sense that way, not to mention making the notebook discovery a more important moment.

The scene where Rachel retrieves the notebook from the school basement wasn’t even in the original outline. I’m glad I added it, though. It’s an interesting bit of business.

Her mom’s suicide was also a late add. Sad, to be sure. But it helps establish that the Rip is growing and growing out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment