Saturday, September 17, 2022

Earworm – Frameless heads on nameless walls

Normally I like to be coy about the name of the song, including it in a comment rather than the post itself. Thus anyone who’d like to try guessing before learning the answer (especially for a hard one like this) won’t have it ruined for them. However, in this case it will be difficult to write about how I created the image without making the song title fairly obvious.

The beautiful paint strokes are a fine detail of part of the horizon from Vincent Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.” I screen capped it from Google Art’s high resolution version. Then I hand lettered the text in Fresco and tweaked it a little in Photoshop.

The song of course is “Vincent” by Don McLean. Like “American Pie,” it’s a maudlin tune with a lot of effortful symbolism in the lyrics. And this one has the added bonus of romanticizing suicide. But as I’ve gotten older, my youthful dislike of Van Gogh’s work has mellowed into appreciation, which apparently leaves me vulnerable to getting this song stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment