Saturday, May 13, 2023

Leaf Ghost #78

After reading the latest article on color history from Winsor & Newton, I’m in a purple mood. I opted for Holbein Violet and Titanium White, both new to me.

I decided to do the whole painting from one cup, starting with a lot of white and then adding more violet for each step. At first the smallest drop of violet made the mix significantly darker. But by the end I had to add a lot of violet to darken it enough for the next set of squares.

Though I’ve learned to be careful about letting everything dry before starting the next pass (for gouache it’s a minimum of one complete song on the playlist), I ended up with a small smear. As I’d already mixed the lighter shade away, for a minute I thought I was stuck. Then I remembered that a friend of mine has been doing some great work with blending gouache. “Just get it wet again,” she advised.

So I did. Using a clean, wet brush, I carefully blended the smudge into its surroundings. And voila! it was gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment