Monday, November 22, 2021

The Fins – Day 22

For some time now I’ve been dreading writing the Margaret Kelly subplot. Try as I might, I can’t muster much feeling about her one way or another. She’s such a caricature of a character, and I’m not sure what exactly to do about her.

However, I knew it would be a bad idea to write the last part of the story and then try to backtrack to Kelly’s bit. So I dug in, and with good sessions in the morning and after dinner I managed to write her demise from start to finish.

Anyone checking the outline may note that originally her passing was supposed to be more sexual than it turned out to be. I confess I’m not fond of writing sex scenes, especially not if they involve violence as well. Like bad things befalling animals or children, I prefer not to see that kind of thing in movies or read it in books. So why would I write it myself?

Frankly, I think it turned out scarier without the sex stuff.

When I completed her story, I noted that I was almost all the way to 40,000 words for the month. So I finished the evening with the beginning of Steven Raleigh’s descent into madness. If I can get another good writing session in tomorrow, I may be able to wrap up “VIB.”

Where to from there, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment