Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Fins – Day Six

One of the odd things about writing a novel I began more than a year ago is that I keep hitting different milestones almost every day. If there’s no NaNoWriMo 2021 goal to be met immediately, I nonetheless clear some significant point in the overall progress of The Legrasse Estate.

For example, today’s writing wasn’t anything noteworthy for Novel Rhino. But I passed 30,000 words in the novel. 

Today was also notable as an exceptionally uneven writing experience. I overslept, which went a long way toward disrupting my plans to produce more than an average day’s word count. 

I also got caught up trying to fix some problems that have emerged over the last few days. One of the problems with putting a project down for a year and then picking it back up again is that it can be tricky trying to remember what’s already been established and what remains to be written. In particular, I noticed that Chapter Three already contained a lot of the back story I recently included in Chapter Five. Even worse, a lot of it by rights belonged in Chapter Six (which is where I am now). So even if I’d dragged my butt out of bed on schedule, I would still have faced the loss of valuable writing time to making fixes that would otherwise have nagged at me and made fresh writing impossible.

However, I managed to maintain what has – for better or worse – become a standard practice this November: stumble through as much as I can before dinner, and make up for lost ground by writing like crazy between 9 and 11 p.m.

FFR: Sam’s meeting with Abigail Marsh is now complete, though she hasn’t yet returned to her hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment