Friday, July 1, 2022

Leaf Ghost #10

Comic book artist Tim Sale died recently. In his memory I’ve been reading some of his work. He did excellent things with watercolors, so in honor of his artistic style I decided to get some watercolors out and give them a try with the most recent leaf ghost.

This one’s a first in the series for watercolors, obviously. In the past – especially with gouache and markers – I’ve tried with varying degrees of success to get nice, even tones in the geometry of the pictures. Here I didn’t even try. Instead I had fun playing around with the paint and deliberately getting blotchy, uneven textures.

This is also the first composition with more than one leaf in it. I took the source photo in Northern Arkansas a couple of months ago, and it featured a small, newly-fallen leaf on top of an older, darker one. And the bigger leaf was so round that this became the first leaf ghost with empty top and bottom rows

No comments:

Post a Comment