Thursday, July 7, 2022

Leaf Ghost #12

I’ve been using a sketchbook of mixed media paper for most of the leaf ghosts I’ve created so far. But this is the first time I’ve actually mixed more than one medium: ink and watercolor. I’d describe the results as, well, mixed.

I had some misgivings about painting an entire leaf all at once rather than creating it one part at a time. It made the subject less of an abstract “ghost” and more of an actual physical presence in the composition. But I figured it was at least worth a try, repeatable if it worked.

But it really didn’t. Even the light green I used was far too dark. It overpowered the ink under it. Though I’m not completely giving up on this approach, I wouldn’t consider this one a success.

Here’s what the image looked like before I applied the paint:

One thing that was a definite success was the ink’s resistance to the paint. On the advice of several sources – including this article from Art News – recommended Speedball Super Black India Ink. It worked quite well both for drying quickly so I could do multiple passes with the pen and setting overnight so the watercolor didn’t blur it at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment