Monday, July 11, 2022

Leaf Ghost #13

One of the big issues I’ve had using paint for leaf ghosts is that my 56-year-old, caffeine-ravaged hands don’t produce the straightest of lines. That actually works in my favor when I’m cross hatching. But for nice, clean edges on painted shapes, I’m looking for something less shaky.

So this piece was my first experiment with art tape.

The edges aren’t perfect, but that’s at least in part on me for not being careful around the masked parts. And also for not going through and cleaning it up with paint or pen when I was done.

This is also my first time trying watercolors at full (or close to full) opacity. The results are okay, but I think I’ll go back to gouache for this look and feel in the future. The paint got pretty thick in spots, though it still dried quickly enough.

Deep Green was darker than I really wanted, so I’ll go with something lighter in the future. The trick here is that I was using paint straight out of the tube because I was applying each color in separate stages and didn’t want to get the mix wrong if the paint in the tray dried out between applications. Forgetting that I was using watercolors, so if it dried out all I had to do was add some water and get right back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment