Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Leaf Ghost #15

Back to using watercolor to paint a solid leaf color, something I tried for the first time back with #12. But this time I dampened the painting area thoroughly with water and then brushed on a thinned sienna.

This pushed the ink to the limit and beyond. The crosshatching on the leaf is Speedball Superblack India Ink. It has a reputation for serious water resistance, and even so it smeared a bit in some spots where the ink was thicker. And the Winsor & Newton green ran like crazy where the water hit it, which fortunately was only in some small spots here and there.

I should also note that I was bouncing back from COVID when I was working on this. You can see how shaky my hand was in spots, particularly in the drop shadow.

Overall I’m pleased with the result, though. The colors remind me of the old saying, “In the midst of life we are in death.”


No comments:

Post a Comment