Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Leaf Ghost #16

Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph tech pens this time, drawn with the assistance of a straight edge.

This one felt good to draw, because I used pens, inks and a triangle that had been gathering dust for years. I used to be a huge tech pen fan because of the tight control they provide for line thickness. But they’re such a pain to clean, particularly compared to how easy dip pens are to take apart and wipe off at the end of a drawing session.

Note that the lines slant differently than usual because of how I decided to get the triangle to work with the wire binding of the sketchbook. And the ink flowed irregularly out of the broader tip. In some ways it was a fun effect, providing some extra texture effects and remaining in keeping with the “analog” line spacing. But it was somewhat frustrating as well.

The straight edge also made drawing go significantly faster.

I left off the drop shadow because I don’t have a tech pen broad enough to draw one. In the future I’ll probably use a Speedball C nib for the shadows even when everything else is done with tech pens.


No comments:

Post a Comment