Sunday, July 3, 2022

Leaf Ghost #11

This is the first monochrome ink entry in the series, and my first time using a Speedball C-2 calligraphy nib.

I used the nib to draw the drop shadows, and overall I’m pleased with the result. It’s sort of a middle ground between a pen and a brush, and it will definitely take some practice to get good with. But the job here was simple, and it performed as expected.

The ink, on the other hand, will require some further consideration. I love the beautiful, dark green color. But it caused some serious smearing problems on mixed media paper. As I was adding the second round of cross-hatching for the dark squares, I noticed that I was getting ink on my hand and leaving green smudges on the page. Giving it some time to dry dealt with most of the problems caused by light pressure. But even drying overnight still left it smeary when I used a heavier touch to erase the under-sketch.

So from here on out I will limit this particular ink to single-pass drawing (or try limiting it to more absorbent paper such as the sheet I used for testing prior to starting work on this ghost).


No comments:

Post a Comment