Sunday, November 12, 2017

Deadly Light – Day 12


Today was a mega marathon of a writing session. I got an early start (especially for a Sunday). And I managed to keep at it for most of the day, stopping only for an afternoon nap and dinner.

The result is what the web site calls my “Wordiest Day” ever. I stopped at slightly over 4000 words. My old record was 3500 or so, set in the early going of Deep Mist three years ago.

The marathon also put me over 25,000 words for the month. Halfway there!

Honestly, I might have kept going. I’m within a page or so of finishing Part Two. But I found that I was starting to write things that didn’t make any sense. Rather than waste time redoing a chunk, I’m going to get some sleep and pick it up fresh when I get home from work tomorrow.

Spoiler alert: plot points follow.

A joke making the rounds a couple of years ago went something like this: George R.R. Martin and J.J. Abrams walk into a bar, and everyone you love dies. The humor is directed at the willingness of the author and the producer to kill off beloved characters in their work.

I don’t know if that sort of thing really does come easy to them, but it doesn’t come easy to me. I typed the entire school shooting scene almost without pausing, and then I wrote most of the Part Two epilogue just to clear my mind a little. That’s a big part of why I ended up writing as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment