Thursday, November 2, 2017

Deadly Light – Day Two


Today was a school day, so I didn’t sit down and start writing until after dinner. It still turned out to be a perfectly productive writing session. I’m well on track to finish on time.

This session produced the conversation between Rachel and her Physics teacher. Around midway through I stared to fret about the passage getting bogged down with too much detail about quantum mechanics and not enough spooky stuff. Then I remembered that at the moment I’m writing. Editing is for later.

And if the book needs to keep the scares flowing, the brief exchange between Rachel and Ritchie should do the trick. I finished it right before I stopped for the evening.

It’s too early in the project – and too long since I actually managed to make it work – to draw any firm conclusions about best practices. But at this point I am nonetheless convinced that it’s essential to avoid watching movies while I write.

This is a break from literally decades of past practice. I’ve almost always had a movie running for background noise during writing sessions. In college, it was a VCR. Early in my teaching career it was a DVD player. And now of course it’s Netflix or some other streaming service.

Except no it isn’t. Yesterday and today I strictly limited myself to playlists from Amazon Prime. Quiet, non-attention-grabbing music, mostly classical lists set up by other users.

I can’t argue with the results. The writing is more creative than the word processing that generated Part One. But it’s flowing smoothly onto the e-page. Crossing my fingers and hoping that I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment