Friday, November 3, 2017

Deadly Light – Day Three

Though I have work to do on Fridays, I don’t have any on-campus classes or scheduled office hours on the last day of the work week. Thus I was able to start writing around 10 and keep at it until 2:30 or so.

Because I had some other pressing matters to attend to later in the afternoon, I had to quit writing before completely finishing a scene. It wasn’t the end of the world, because I made my word quota for the day with plenty of room to spare. And I’d covered the main point of the scene. All that’s left is some wrap-up. Still, it felt a little weird to walk away without reaching a completely natural stopping point.

I thought maybe I’d finish up after I got home this evening, but I got in late and wasn’t feeling it. Guess it will be a good starting place tomorrow.

Spoiler alert: plot points follow.

Today’s piece was about the prep for Deadeye Days. Danny uses the historical markers on the downtown buildings to reveal that Deadeye Bill was less a legendary hero and more a psychotic killer. This was based on an actual tour of downtown Hays. Many of the buildings have the kind of plaques described in the story. And many of them identify the real places where Wild Bill Hickok killed someone during his tenure as marshal.

The last time I was out west I took pictures of the plaques. Though none of them are reproduced verbatim, they were definitely an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment