Thursday, November 16, 2017

Deadly Light – Day 16


I had a rather eventful day today, so once again I got a late start on writing. This time, however, I at least managed to make quota.

Throughout Part Two, I tried to keep each day’s events somewhere near the 2000 word mark (so a day’s writing more or less). However, that rhythm doesn’t appear to be working for Part Three. The day I’m on now was originally a single scene. Then I shifted the next scene to later that evening. Originally it had its own day, but then I saw no reason to include so much unnecessary down time between scenes.

And then I couldn’t get the scene to accomplish everything I needed it to do, so I ended up extracting two of the characters and giving them a new locale to finish their conversation. As a result, Saturday, December 19, 1987, is as eventful as the days I’ve spent writing it.

Spoiler alert: plot points follow.

Today’s session started in the tattoo shop, and at the end of it I had to move Ben and Rachel to the diner to let them finish discussing Donald’s death and set up the transition to the next scene. When I stopped writing at ten til midnight, I was somewhere around the middle of their chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment