Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Deep Mist Day 12 - Section One Done

I’m stopping early today. As the title of this post implies, I’m at a good stopping point.

Indeed, this is usually the point at which I’d drop writing for a little while, walk away and do something else just to clear my mind a bit. To be sure, the novel is far from done, but all three sections function as discrete stories on their own as well as parts of a larger narrative. Under other circumstances, it would be nice to take a break and shift gears.

However, I’m dedicated to the 50,000 word goal. National Novel Writing Month has taken me this far. I’ll stick with it at least until the end.

Speaking of the web site, this week has brought a flood of motivational messages about the week two doldrums. It sounds like a lot of authors can keep a start-of-project rush going for the first week but then lose steam. One of the emails had a line about the poor, unfortunate souls who were still above quota and would thus never experience the rush of a come-from-behind victory.

Evidently whoever wrote that (and it was someone in the metro area) isn’t a Royals fan. If there’s one thing I learned from the postseason last month, it’s the tremendous value of claiming a lead early in the game and then doing absolutely everything possible to hold onto it.

With that in mind, my current overall total is 22,549 words and my daily total (even though I’m clocking out early) is 1812 words, both above quota.

And here’s an odd coincidence: the now-complete section of the novel is almost exactly (within 200 words) as long as Grandma Gilman, my current record holder for longest published work of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment